blog post #43 by Science Fiction Author Clara Bush
I received more Super Moon photos over the weekend. The cool thing about these, at least for an American, they were photographed from the eastern suburbs of Sydney, Australia.
Creator—a born and raised Aussie—Scott Daley is not only a photography enthusiast but a postgraduate student in Physiotherapy from the Uni of Sydney. (Uni is Aussie for university.) He says his dream is:
“To live in Melbourne with my fiancé Christen and be a physiotherapist for a sporting team, in particular a Rugby league or AFL team, as well as have my own business.”
Why There Are Moon Facts Here
7. The idea that the moon has a permanent dark side was immortalized by the progressive rock group Pink Floyd. But actually there is no permanent dark side to the moon. In fact, the side of the moon that is perpetually turned away from Earth is no more dark than the side we see. It is fully illuminated by the sun just as often (lunar daytime), and is in shade just as often (lunar night), as is the familiar Man in the Moon face we see. http://earthsky.org/space/five-myths-about-the-moon
8. When did she become a he? Dante’s Inferno is one instance. Christian lore, using the book of Numbers XV.32-36, claims he was a man caught gathering sticks on the sabbath and that God sentenced to death by stoning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_Moon .
9. The Man in the Moon is struck by a spacecraft in the 1902 fantasy film Le Voyage dans la Lune. This frame from the film is an example of a conventionalized image bearing no relation to actual lunar features.Screenshot from Le Voyage dans la lune (A Trip to the Moon) (1902)
10. Hippocrates, considered the father of modern medicine, wrote in the fifth century B.C. that “one who is seized with terror, fright and madness during the night is being visited by the goddess of the moon.” http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/7-unusual-myths-and-theories-about-the-moon
11. In our not so distant past, it was believed that sleeping with the full moon shinning down on you caused lunacy.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms
And the Moon is pure and bright…
Famous lines spoken by Actress Maria Ouspenskaya’s in the 1941 movie, The Wolf Man.
Scott and Tony,
Thank You For The Pixs
They are Amazing
Looking back at Tony’s (blog post # 40) and Scott’s photos of the Super Moon 2014, she really does look like The White Goddess. She even dances on the water.
The Science Fiction Reality blog is a little science, a little fiction, a little about writing, and a lot of real.
- Naale Baa Urban Legend - March 10, 2023
- The Rake Urban Legend - February 23, 2023
- The Russian Sleep Experiment Urban Legend - February 10, 2023
Leave a Reply