Science fiction writers continue to chip away at the secrets contained within the universe and often speculate on the possibility of life on other worlds and what it might look like. So who—among us Earthlings—thinks life on other planets exists?
When I polled the sci-fi google+ community, 380 science fiction lovers responded to the following question.
QUESTION: What is your vote for existence of life on other planets.
Looking is a waste of time and money 5%
Don’t think so 4%
An overwhelming majority of sci-fiers believe in the existence of life on other planets. Not a surprise.
What is surprising is that 5% think it’s a waste to look and another 4% don’t think there is the slightest possibility of life outside Earth.
My question: Why are you non-believers even in a sci-fi community? I mean that is what we are all about. Right? Seeing the possible in the improbable.
NASA even thinks life exists on other planets. Just ask NASA’s chief scientist, Dr. Ellen Stofan. She predicts we’ll find signs of alien life within 10 years.
“I think we’re going to have strong indications of life beyond Earth within a decade, and I think we’re going to have definitive evidence within 20 to 30 years,” she said on April 7, 2015 in Washington during a panel discussion focused on the space agency’s efforts to search for habitable worlds and alien life.
Jeffery Newmark, NASA’s interim director of heliophysics, agrees with Stofan. “It’s definitely not an if, it’s a when,” he says.
Both of these statements echo remarks made by NASA astronomer Kevin Hand a year earlier in a similar panel discussion. “I think in the next 20 years we will find out we are not alone in the universe,” he said.
4 Reasons Why Life on Other Planets Is Possible.
- Water is turning up on more planets.
- The sheer vastness of the universe. “It’s highly improbable in the limitless vastness of the universe that we humans stand alone,” Charles Bolden, NASA Administrator, said.
- The discovery of more Earth-like planets gives us the prospect that life elsewhere is possible.
- The existence of extremophiles on Earth proves life finds a way.
The Probe’s Mission Statement
The Probe is a blog devoted to the exploration of the unexplainable, to finding the truth in occurrences that resemble science fiction, and to researching and reporting on topics that could be flung upon the wall of weird.
Sign up to get my weekly, slightly irregular blog posts delivered directly to your email.
- Ghost Hunt, Part 7. Stella Lansing, Pioneer in Paranormal - June 3, 2021
- Ghost Hunt, Part 6. Ghost Town of Alta. Nikola Tesla, Are You Still Here? - May 20, 2021
- Ghost Hunt, Part 5.The Ghost Who Haunted My House? - May 6, 2021