Rumors of the X-Files’ reboot have been circulating on the web for months. This morning Fox announced it’s official— X-Files returns January 24, 2016 with a two hour opener.
The Short of It
Science Fiction fans have long awaited the return of The X-Files. We just never thought it would take this long. We at least expected a movie starring the Dauntless Duo of Scully and Fox before now, and still we must wait eight months before our X-Files addiction gets a fix. I want to believe. Really I do.
The Long Of It
The X-Files first aired September 10, 1993 and ran for nine seasons and 202 episodes. In 2002, it was touted as being the longest playing science fiction series ever on US broadcast television. It was surpassed in 2007 by Stargate SG-1 and in 2011 by Smallville.
The series featured actress Gillian Anderson in the role of FBI Special Agent Dana Scully and actor David Duchovny as FBI Special Agent Fox Mulder. Anderson and Duchovny return in the reboot which is a miniseries consisting of six episodes. Also returning to the alien hunting team is actor Mitch Pileggi resurrecting his role as Walter Skinner. Chris Carter, The X-Files creator, returns as executive producer and writer.
Although I have always been an avid fan of X-Files, there were certain facts of which I was unaware until my research today.
5 Things you maybe didn’t know.
1. The X-Files has its own mythology referred to as the mytharc by fans and staff. The story arc involves Fox being a believer in aliens and Scully being a skeptic, and the government conspiracy to cover up alien colonization. (ProbeNote: This colonization was supposed to take place in 2012. Something Carter says he will have to address in the reboot. It will be interesting to see how it’s handled.)
2. Not all episodes advanced the mytharc. Some were stand-alones and referred to as Monster of The Week episodes. This is where we got our incredible monster fixes in the 1990s.
3. Creator Chris Carter always planned for the relationship between Fox and Scully to be platonic. But there were many heated internet debates over whether the relationship would and/or should become more. Many of us watched in anticipation of a Fox/Scully romance, however, there was an actual group of fans who called themselves NoRomos and were against any love connection whatsoever between the two. My question to them: Did you watch the show? The chemistry between the two characters was undeniable and oozed out every episode until the very end. And wait, whose baby did she have? (ProbeNote: Anderson and Duchovny were dubbed “internet sex symbols.”)
(ProbeNote: Creator Chris Carter on his characters: “Mulder and Scully came right out of my head. They are the equal parts of my desire to believe in something and my inability to believe in something.”)
4. Will we ever forget The Smoking Man? The guy who lurked in the shadows and chained smoked. It’s been rumored actor William B. Davies will return in the reboot. In the entire first season, The Smoking Man says only four words and all of them are in the twenty-first episode titled, “Tooms.” He said, “Of course I do.” This was in response to Skinner’s question, “Do you believe?”
5. There was a spin-off of The X-Files that premiered during a month long hiatus of TXF in March 2001. The Lone Gunman was to be a humorous spin-off of the popular series. It started out with quite a fan base that withered. It was cancelled after 13 episodes. I’d never heard of it. Had you? Could be why it didn’t fair so well even though it had positive reviews for the most part.
So I wonder, how will Carter handle the Scully/Fox romance? I, for one, thought—when I heard the news about The X-Files Reboot—finally they’ll get together! Personally, I’ll be disappointed if the romance doesn’t develop, even if it’s just a hint at a romance. I mean come on, the chemistry has to be there for The X-Files to be a success.
I definitely hope we get a Monster of The Week, but with only six episodes, I’m not sure this is possible and have the mytharc as well. And we gotta have the whole government/alien conspiracy theory underlining the entire plot.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. What is your position of the Scully/Fox romance? What monster do you hope they reboot in the new series? My choice would be Flukeman.
Welcome to my new site and/or thank you for returning. Not really new, just converted from Blogger to WordPress. Hope you find it easier.